Sunday, May 14, 2006

I am

consternated about the Brady Bunch house.

Picture it with me. Not from the photos at the above link, but in your mind as you remember it from the tv show.

If you are inside the house, on the driveway side is the family room with the slider door, right? Then the kitchen, with Alice's room. Which is a really strange place to find a bedroom, isn't it?

On the other side of the kitchen is the dining room, and then the living room. Still with me? The formal front door is directly opposite the sliding glass door that leads to the driveway.

BUT. Whenever you see Mike pull up after a long day's work AS AN ARCHITECT, mind you, you see the front door facing the street, smack dab in the middle of the house.

Am I wrong? No.

How the heck can the front door be there? Whenever formal company comes over, like Charlie's parents or the Glee Club teacher, they come in what we know as the front door. Which is really the side door. Someone explain this to me. And don't give me your lousy 'facade' excuses. I want the truth.

Where is the laundry room--in Alice's bedroom?

Is there NO BATHROOM on the main floor?

And where is Greg's room with the beaded doorway? Mr. Wheeze says it's in the attic, but there are no stairs leading up to it, are there?

And then the back yard...with Mike's office (which is HUGE--Carol has to run five steps just to get from the couch to Mike's desk) jutting out the back there, and the garage set back behind the house opposite it, how the hen did they manage to construct a stage, place a hundred folding chairs, and put on a production of Snow White for Miss Wellfield so they could raise $200 to buy her a set of books?

And finally. There are no windows. Serious fire hazard there.

Enlighten me.

18 Comments:

Blogger Buggy said...

I think you just smashed my joyful childhood Brady memories to pieces!

The Brady house is a LIE!


You are a bad Hamster.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Immunegirl said...

Isn't Mike's office on the other side of the door (thus still allowing the front door to be in the middle of the house)?

That's all I've got. This just confirmed by absolute lack of architecture ability.

2:09 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

I have not clicked the link, so I'm goin by memory...

If you walk through the sliding doors and through the family room and kitchen, you would be looking straight at the staircase that leads upstairs to the bedrooms.

On a landing, directly right of the stairs, is the door to Mike's office. In front of the stairs are the couches and to the right of that is the front door. You must actually turn (or pan) right to see the front door, which would be on the front of the house, facing the street. Greg's room is in the attic.

Maybe you should rewatch all the episodes. *grin*

Why do you want to know this anyway? has this been buggin you since the 70's?

4:50 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oh! The lack of windows are a whole 'nother story!

4:51 AM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

OK... now that I clicked the link, I am wondering how the upstairs bedrooms seemed to be above Mike's office, by the way they went up the stairs, but the second floor of that house is only above what should be the kitchen/family room/dining/living rooms

4:56 AM  
Blogger Glowie said...

I remember it the way Nutzy said up there. But isn't there a window by the door?

*waves to Wheezy*

5:36 AM  
Blogger Blue said...

Indeed, it is a cause for sombre if not grave disquiet. And the address? 'Morning Glory Circle'? 'Morning Glory' has entirely different connotations where I come from. (Thaaat end of the sewage farm) I'm sure you know what I mean...

7:29 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I agree with Nutz and am also concerned about the lack of windows. Good thing Alice never left the towel near the stove burner.

If the house did burn down, I bet it would've been Jan's fault.

Question: Was Greg's "Groovy Room" in Mike's office? I can't remember.

9:40 AM  
Blogger augie said...

Well, thanks a bunch Wheezy. I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about this.

Sheesh.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Wheeze said...

I thought that Greg's groovy room was by Mikes office (or it was converted into it) too, but then I thought I was probably crazy. Maybe I'm not crazy.

Hi Augie!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Landru said...

Just as important: Carol's always running around in a lacy nightie. And yet? Mike is too gay to do her! Explain that!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

I never got into that show because the girl children all reminded me too much of the Village of the Damned cuckoo girls.

7:12 AM  
Blogger beannie said...

Greg's groovy room was in Mike's office for one episode - then Greg decided he wasn't so grown up after all and wanted to mopve back in with his brothers.

In the last years of the show, Greg's bedroom was in the attic.

Another thing that has always bugged me is the fact that there is no toilet in the bathroom the kids all shared. That added to the lack of windows is a very scary thought.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Silvergirl said...

Until I read Swami's comment, I thought I was the only person on the planet who didn't watch this show. I never liked it.

I also don't like Full House, Mad About You, and Will and Grace.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Yes, there was a door to the attic. It was seen several times in the episode where Greg had custody of the rival schools goat mascot.

Growing up in the 70's I loved that show. I used to be able to identify each episode by the opening shot. Sad, but true. Also true? My greatest memory of Watergate was that all the hearings pre-empted The Brady Bunch. Man, was I pissed at Nixon for that!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I love the Brady Bunch. I still watch it at least once a week.
Here is the only thing that bothered me:
The four older kids were clearly pre-teen and teen when Mike and Carol got married. I find it highly unlikely that at their age they would just forget their dead parent and immediately start to call their STEP parents "Mom" and "Dad". This is what bothered me the most.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

I also don't understand why, if they have such a huge driveway, Mike would park out front when he gets home from work. He always comes in the front door. Park in the driveway, Mike!!!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I love how much you know about the Brady Bunch.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home