Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Peep is alive

PEEPDATE #1: Peep is still in my backyard. He cannot fly, but he can hop. He hops along one wall, staying in the shade. Mommy and Daddy Mockingbird still bring him food all the time. As long as he doesn't jump in the pool, I think he'll be okay.



So the birds are procreating profusely in my backyard.

The mockingbirds made a nest in the north tree. I always wondered what a baby mockingbird sang. Was it born with the full folder of music that its parents knew, or was it a learned thing?

Over the past few weeks, I have determined that baby mockingbirds only know one song--the song of the whining puppy.

Today, the whining sounded different--like it was coming from a different place. I watched mommy and daddy mockingbird, and though they went to the nest with their berries and wormie things, they left the nest still holding it. They'd cock their necks to look around. Where was peep? It was tragic. Finally, they found him in the tall grass below the tree.

Why is there tall grass below a tree in Arizona, you ask. Because the weed killer will kill the tree if we get too close with it, and the whacker is in storage. (not code, unless you are Swami.)

Anyway, they fed him on the ground all afternoon, in the hot hot sun. I thought that peep was going to die of the heat, but now he figured out how to hop over to the shade of the wall.

He is cute as can be, all fluffy with his feathers like he's wearing a full boa. Hopefully he'll figure out how to fly soon, because it's dang hot stuck on a bunch of rocks in Wheezy's yard.

Go, little Peep! I think peep needs some encouragement. Help me out.

11 Comments:

Blogger Buggy said...

Yay for little Peep!
Live Peep, thrive!

4:52 AM  
Blogger Bravie said...

*glares at little peep*
Live, you little peep. That's an order.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

*peep peep, peep peep, yah*

You can do it peep! There's a lot of peeps out here rooting for you!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Swami said...

Within a week, Wheezy, Peep should be able to fly well enough to get into a low branch somewhere. That's a natural progression for baby birds. They fall from the nest because they think they can fly, but they haven't fledged enough for flight.

The longer he spends on the ground the more likely it is that a cat or rodent or snake will get him. I hope he fledges soon!

He's the only child (so to speak)?

6:10 AM  
Blogger Wheeze said...

he's the only child.
So are you suggesting I keep the cat inside? Har har. I keed.

He really needs some tail feathers. Mockingbirds have such long tails, and peep has nothing back there yet.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous t-box said...

I would like to sing the "I'm Proud of You" song for the peep. I will sing it in my head. On the downbeat!

I think some tail feathers (or, as I like to call it: a little junk in the trunk) will help a lot.

Go peep, go! We are rooting for you!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Blue said...

Baby mockingbirds can only do Carly Simon songs.
But when they get much, much bigger a tiny fraction learn to read. Avoid leaving anything by Harper Lee lying around. Apparently he's lethal.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Wheeze said...

Got me a bad singin' baby, then. This one can only do 'peep' and 'chirp' so far.

Harper Lee is a 'she', by the way. Only wrote the one book as far as I know. Maybe PETA got involved and drove her out of the business.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Blue said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Blue said...

It's the heat wot does it.

I'm sorry, I have a cold. Wot? A girl? Get off! Next you'll be sayin' Joan Miro was a bloke.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Wheeze said...

No more than Kelsey Grammer.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home